Back in October, my life: mind, body, spirit, environment, relationships, was anything but peaceful.
I visited the Monthly Peace Challenge for the month of October, posted by Kozo on Everyday Gurus, but I could not wrap any part of myself into visualizing what peace looks like or could look like in my day to day life, much less in the larger world. Here’s my vision for World Peace 2014:
Reverse the organizational pyramids ~ Individual people in positions of power and leadership: economic, political, familial, spiritual would stop seeking more power in order to assert their self-interested agendas. Instead, they would commit to humbling themselves in service to the betterment of those whom they have authority over. “Ask not what the people can do for you, but what you can do for the people.”
Return to interdependence ~ Each individual will come to recognize and honor all other individuals as members of the same human body.
“Many Gifts but One Body
3 For by the grace(G) given to me, I tell everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he should think.(H) Instead, think sensibly, as God has distributed a measure of faith(I) to each one. 4 Now as we have many parts in one body,(J) and all the parts do not have the same function,”
I know this passage is a bit out of context, since it is speaking to a first century sect of Judaism, which we now call Christianity. However, I believe that all of humanity is a creation of God, whatever name or understanding any human may have of that. That belief falls within the belief that the God which was, is, and shall be pre-existed all of creation and all of creation was formed from God’s own essence and returns to God when it ceases to be. Therefore, in my understanding, even if we are divided in our spiritual/religious beliefs, we are still living, breathing, walking, talking pieces of God, with function, worth, and purpose, whether we believe it or not, regardless of our own awareness or cognizance of our connection to one another or God. Just as the human body has many parts with many functions, some deemed desirable and good, others deemed undesirable and offensive, all are necessary to the continued functioning of the body. Independence, superiority, and dominance are false constructs obscuring the reality that all people are reliant and interdependent on all other people in existence. “Humanity divided against itself, cannot stand. Humanity united and functionally interdependent, will get back up and keep going.”
I fully believe that if we, as a species, can internalize these truths, that peace is possible on a world-wide scale. That being said, it starts with me, in my home, in my relationships, in my life today.
- I Declare World Peace (henrystradford.wordpress.com)
- Restorative Miracles (jacobglass.typepad.com)
- FOUR LETTERS: “When you do something for world peace, peace among groups, peace among individuals, or your own inner peace, you improve the total peace picture. Whenever you bring harmony into any unpeaceful situation, you contribute to the cause of peace (peacepursuit.wordpress.com)
- Collecting the lost pieces (thetrailblazerpublication.wordpress.com)
- Have We Given Up On Peace? (My Only Christmas Blog Post This Year) (erickouns.com)
- Vethathiri Maharishi World Peace, Family Peace & Individual People Peace (vethathirimaharishipapanasam.wordpress.com)
- Pope reaches out to atheists in Christmas appeal for peace (smh.com.au)
- Harmony (afriendofjesus2013.com)
- Creating Peace As Flawed Individuals (leazengage.wordpress.com)
- Christmas Question … (jeffpearlman.com)